THE "BULLYPROOF" PROJECT
Conflict Resolution Program That Works: Highlights Of Current Project
BULLYPROOF allows young people to draw on their innate qualities of humor,
innocence, fearlessness, and more to enhance their security and ability to
stand up in the world. It is a fun and entertaining way of teaching young
people how to defuse threatening situations before they explode into
BULLYPROOF� is a puppet show for children and a play for teenagers.
Specifically, it is an acronym for the steps in effective conflict
resolution (see attached). It is also a song, an educational program and a
series of native shields. In phase 2, it will utilize a variety of
programs from crafts, arts, games, music and dance to toys, CD ROMS, the
internet, and email to link kids together and make learning fun.
BULLYPROOF� draws wisdom both from native roots and cutting edge
technologies of the future to give children a unique learning experience.
From making shields, masks & puppets to drumming, role-playing,
story-telling and performing, the kids have the time of their life. By
using all the senses, BULLYPROOF� balances left and right brain learning,
imprinting alternative solutions for ready access in potentially violent
"Months after the play, they were still talking about it in health classes
and social studies. Kids would still stop me in the halls and say: 'Hey,
that play had a good message. We're not into violence anymore.' Now, when
the students get into a situation that could turn ugly, the song lyrics pop
into their heads 'You gotta be BULLYPROOF!' So they try doing what
'Listening Lynx' and 'Fearless Fox' taught them. And it works!... In many,
many cases, Bullyproofing works... It ought to be in every school...--Ben
Zachary, Principal, Highland Park Jr. High, St. Paul, MN.
[....materials include an].. Internet access disk so kids can go to a
BULLYPROOF� chat site and
get tips from Picturing Porpoise, Respectful Raven and the other
characters on how to handle their conflicts.
* Ready links to web pages with a variety of activities, contests,
tips and a collection of illustrated True Tales of Victories over Violence
* Entertainment-quality simulations & interactive learning programs
featuring Edward James Olmos, Martin Sheen, Dennis Weaver, Jamie Farr, Mike
Farrell &/or other Hollywood Talent.
* Movie-making programs that allow the children to create their own
alternatives to television violence -- utilizing the BULLYPROOF� animal
As the youngsters collaborate & email-in, phone in or send in their
own-made movies, their videotapes of puppet shows, and favorite stories of
better ways than violence, they might soon get a response --
You are winners!
* Your winning entrees will all be featured on our Web page.
* The best of the winning entries will be cable-cast on our new
BULLYPROOF TV show (see next page)
* And one school district each month will win a personal visit from
the BULLYPROOF puppets and traveling TV crew described on the next page.<<
.... On the Road with the BULLYPROOF Puppets
Three brightly-colored RV's will roll into your town escorted by
bigger-than-life costumed BULLYPROOF� characters.
* RV#1 will be the on-the-road home of puppeteers & professional
mediators Paul Glickman & Susan Marcus. Paul doubles as the team's
computer animation specialist (broadcast on PBS and network TV).
* RV#2 will be the rolling residence of the multicultural story
telling team of Liz Mangual & Bob Kanegis AKA "Fearless Fox" & "BULLYPROOF
Bob." They will host the TV show, lead BULLYPROOF workshops for teachers
and children, and respond to children's email from on-the-road.
* RV#3 will be the TV studio of Chris Schueler, the award-winning
director of "Fences" and "News 101." Each month the 4 weekly TV shows will
be cablecast from a different city.
When "The Fun Team" comes to your town, here's what happens:
* Our advance man, Joe Carder, (formerly with Ferrante & Teicher),
will have everything lined up: schools, media interviews, public
* The RV's arrive with lots of hoopla and proceed to a school
auditorium where they perform the puppet show - complete with special
effects and dramatic sound.
* Following the show, the puppets field questions from the audience
like, "What can I do if my mom yells at me?" Listening Lynx might reply:
"Ever try to tell someone something but they don't seem to hear a word? So
you say it louder (gives example). Still nothing? Finally you yell like
this (laughter). Maybe, if you just let your mom know you're listening the
first time... Think you might try that?"
* Our team conducts a model workshop with children and training for
teachers to carry out the curriculum, and teach children to do their own
puppet shows and plays.
Meanwhile, the TTVV crew:
* Scouts locations. For example, in Philadelphia, the puppets might
visit the Liberty Bell & join Picturing Porpoise on an imaginary visit back
to the 1776 Continental Congress, where they'd have to resolve a raging
conflict to save the birth of the Constitution.
* Arranges guests with true stories, live or on tape. For example,
Steven Spielberg might tell how he, as a skinny kid, overcame a bully not
with fists but with film -- inviting him to play a hero in his home movie.
* Prepares the pre-recorded/animated parts of show and selects &
prepares kids to be in the live audience for the whole month the team is in
* Produces the show, with the kids singing songs, listening to the
stories & interacting with the Puppets.
As you can see, BULLYPROOF� has the potential to touch the lives of the
next generation of children. We think it could "take off" in the popular
culture, with kids buying the puppets and toys, singing the songs, watching
the shows, doing the activities, playing the games and experiencing a new
way of looking at the world. With your financial support, this potential
will become a reality. We'd love to share more of our vision with you and
have your input in shaping and enabling this program to pave the way for a
better tomorrow. - 5/12/97
The program intervenes to break the cycle of violence by empowering
children with life-skills in creative conflict engagement through this
innovative ten step program that spells BULLYPROOF:
* Be Brave enough to bust-out from the fighting trap. Violence's not
where the power's at. Do the unexpected, throw 'em a curve. Chill, use
your wits, show a new kinda nerve.
* Understand what makes the Bully tick. Your brain is better than a big
ol' stick. Figure what's going on inside: Fears and hopes 'n tears
that never dried.
* Listen with your heart as well as your ears. Behind loud anger hear
doubts and fears. When little things don't get heard, they build and
build 'til it gets absurd.
* Love the doer, if not the deed. Look for the good, the inner seed.
We're all born with
some kinda' genius, a deep-down soul free of meanness.
* Yes and no, boy and girl, Balance inside in a Ying Yang whirl.
Opportunity springs from crisis. Opposites: they energize us.
* Picture your own happy ending. Play a game of pretending. Everything
begins with a thought. Create a vision of the way things ought.
* Respect the person behind the bully mask. Self respect is the very
first task. We all need love and recognition. With power from above,
* Originate a win-win way, Don't make a loser or we'll all pay. Only if
you, I and the planet all win, Can the peace that comes be genuine.
* Oversee the chaotic fray: from a higher vision, a wiser way: Conquer
evil with good, falsehood with truth. Love is the power that's got
* Fearless, strong, closer to perfection, the true hero stands tall
without a weapon.
We know that fear attracts attack. Now our shield can turn it
In addition to the acronym, learning retention is further enhanced by
having an animal character associated with each letter:
BULLY: Bustout Bear, Understanding Unicorn, Listening Lynx, Loving Lion, &
Yin Yang Yak
PROOF: Picturing Porpoise, Respectful Raven, Originating Otter, Overseeing
Owl, & Fearless Fox
105 Camino Teresa
Santa Fe, NM 87505-4703
(505) 982-8882 * FAX (505) 982-6460
Until our web site is done, visit our draft site:
©Arthur Kanegis, 1997
Arthur Kanegis & Molly Post
105 Camino Teresa
Santa Fe, NM 87505-4703
505-982-8882 24hr. FAX 505-982-6460
webpage: http://www.rt66.com/~future <<
Return to Main Menu